Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Take A Shot?

WARNING: I didn't intend for this post to be a bitchy rant, but somehow it sorta turned into that. It's boring, and not funny--but it's on my mind as I just had a mother tell me that I'm an irresponsible parent. Grrr.

Here it is:

Fall brings all sorts of things: Holiday excitement, changing leaves, cute boots, scarves....and the not so fun stuff. Coughs, fevers, stomach bugs. Yuck.

Everywhere from the pharmacy to Target (I'm not kidding.) to Gerbs (again, completely serious)....you see the signs. "FLU SHOTS HERE." It's a touchy topic. Safe? Not safe? Everyone has an opinion. What's yours?

For my family, we've chosen to not get flu shots. "That puts you and OTHERS at risk! It's irresponsible! Think of your kids!"

Firstly, when we are actually sick--we are selfish with our germs...WE STAY HOME. As far as my children, they are rarely sick and always happy. Mission accomplished, Lady. Ughhh....people are so rude and don't think for themselves.


I've heard it all, and not delivered in a very nice way. Still, my children are HEALTHY. My oldest is six and my youngest will turn 4 soon. Between the two of them, they've been sick a combined total of (about) 10 times. Their WHOLE lives. COMBINED. And when I say sick, we're talking fever, cough, ear infection, runny or stuffy nose. That's about the extent. (They do get light coughs and mild sniffles--nothing major) My oldest has vomited twice in her entire life. Once was because she had WAY too much birthday cake, was running around, and well..you do the math. My son, never. Never do I recall him vomiting (Am I really talking about this? There's a point...hang in there!). They have decent diets and get regular exercise. They don't drink soda, they don't partake in high saturated fatty foods, they get plenty of water and bathe nightly... I keep them pretty balanced. I'm not saying we're perfect, but we do try to take care of our bodies. Something I think most some families lack these days.

The first (and last) time I received a flu shot I was 7 or 8 months pregnant with my son. My doctor was set that I get the shot. I didn't want one. I took it anyways. He's a doctor, he knows more than I do. Right? Well, in less than 24hrs I was the sickest I had (and have) EVER been. It was terrible. I don't want to get too detailed, but it was explosive--in every way. You get me here right? I had a reaction to the shot. The one I DIDN'T want. From that moment, I would never be pressured medically again. I knew what was right for me, and I went against that.

These flu shots aren't being researched enough. I think they're dangerous. And yet, everyone runs out to get their family's shots asap. Within weeks I see posts about "2am ER trips with high fevers and vomiting," "so-and-so is sick AGAIN!" Posts from the same people that previously posted how they got their flu shots and blah blah blah.... Does no one else see the pattern? Personally I think it's all taboo.

When our children do get a little cough or something, we try to treat naturally. Honey is our bestfriend. Seriously--  honey. Honey will kick a cough like you wouldn't believe. The over the counter stuff has so many additives and dyes... all you need to treat a sick kid is: honey, vitamin-C, and lots of water. Of course things like strep, and other infections do require antibiotics... I'm not one of those weirdos. We will take anti-bodies if we need a little help. When we DO get sick--we STAY HOME. People who cough and snot all over the place drive me insane. Take a little consideration of other people, ya know?

If you have gotten, or plan to get a flu shot: know that I don't judge you. I know that every family has to make their decisions based on what's best for them; as we have done. I'm not pushing my naturalist ideas on anyone, but would urge everyone to try it. You'll be surprised.

On another, completely unrelated note: I've kept up with the work-outs so far. I started the Couch To 5K program...you can check it out here. It's a great program that's designed for even the most inexperienced trainer.

OH! And I also bought two pair of new running shoes at Road Runner Sports! They have great sales going on right now (hence the purchase of two pair!), so check 'em out! I can't wait for my shoes to get here! If I'm going to do this, I'm going all out. Either that or I will spend all this money and gain an angry husband and maintain a jiggly ass. Here's hoping for option A. 




No comments:

Post a Comment