Sunday, November 7, 2010

Falling Back...Into Good Habits::.

Tis that time. The only thing I really enjoy as it gets too cold to leave my house. We turn our clocks back and get an extra hour of slumber. When the alarm usually goes off, our bodies get to snuggle in and indulge in what feels like something 'oh so bad.' Sleeeeeeeping in! Well, that's the way it's supposed to be. For me, it means I'm actually punctual. Whoo! I get to be the early bird! Being that I'm always late, I welcome the opportunity. Today, though-- it came a little too early.


This morning my son woke up at 6am "old time"--that's right. That means I've been kicking since 5am "new time." Not cool. There's nothing in the world quite like Iron-man at 5am. I was tired, and disappointed that I was missing out on the naughty sleep. So, I snuggled up with him hoping to sneak some z's--he wasn't having it. Not only do we watch, we reenact. Oh, and apparently, I'm not a very good actress when sleepy, because he was high on the criticism. "Mommy! Make your voice excited!" I snapped into it though. Before I knew it we were jumping off the bed shooting lasers at each other's force fields. We chased each other as quietly as we could--the rest of the house WAS still sleeping. My heart got to pumping and now I'm feeling great! I have high energy and feel ready to tackle the day!


It's been a little while since I've felt like this. I've been in sort of a slump. It always happens at the beginning of fall. I call it the "summertime blues." I DO NOT (did you get that? nice and BOLD: DO NOT!) like cold weather. It means I have to wear real shoes, sleeves, and pants EVERYDAY. It means dry skin, hellacious wind, dangerous driving conditions, high energy bills, runny noses, constant coughs...and the list goes on. But today, I'm feeling good. So I banked on it. I went for a (grrr. cold.) run..or jog by the definition of most. I didn't go far, but it felt good to just--move. It felt familiar, but wasn't as easy as it used to be. I could feel my legs begin to tingle--that warm, stretched, loose, 'this road is mine' tingle. I could feel the air in my lungs get warm and thick as I tried to control it. It felt so good. I finished with some aerobic moves and some intense yoga stretches. I haven't taken the time to really, really work-out in a couple months. Shame. I could say I've been busy, or that it's hard to keep up with life and work-out, blah blah blah---I've been lazy. I've been so lazy. Work has slowed down and after a long summer of rushing, running, rushing (did I say I own a vacation management business??)-- I've been sitting, sitting, sitting.


So now I'm in search of balance. Balance in diet (weakness) and in exercise. My plan: more water, more greens, less grease. (I've been on a fast food kick--gross. I don't know where the hell priorities have gone, but my ass sure has paid for it-- +5lbs since July. ) More running, more weight training, more yoga, more sex. I mean we have lots, but more is always good, right? (TMI? Too bad! I'm not making you read!)




I'm counting today as day one of change. Here's hoping for a consecutive day two. I'll let you know.





No comments:

Post a Comment